Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Things to do when you're bored, Bored, BORED...

...in the hospital.


This list would be so much easier to make if the setting was ANYWHERE but here:






You didn't expect I'd include myself in that shot, did you?  Because ladies who have not been allowed to shower since Monday morning and who have been subsisting on broth and popsicles do not have their pictures taken.


Which brings us to idea number one:

1.  Take stupid pictures with your built-in computer cam.  Good for about 3 minutes, if you're creative, considering the limited subject matter.  (Also assumes you have said equipment.)
Ooh, here's a nice one I like to call "Farewell, Jello"

2.  Skype - assuming someone is signed on and that you don't mind them seeing you in your current bedraggled, unshowered state.  (Quick check... umm.  no.  on both counts.)

3.   Devour newspaper hubby brought earlier - or at least the important parts:  comics, crossword and... well, some of the headlines, I suppose.

4.  Watch TV.  (Good if you weren't already sick of it from a few hours of Everybody Loves Raymond and Friends yesterday afternoon.)

5.  Prank call your nurses.  (Definitely not recommended, especially if they're in charge of feeding you or emptying and recording the volume of pee in your in-room toilet.)  Soooooo happy to have a private room.

6.  Update your blog, being as snarky and whiny as possible.

7.  Look over your current stock of clear liquid treats again.  Lots and lots of Gatorade.  And no non-cherry flavored popsicles.  Darn.


8. Ignore the bag containing your yarn, knitting needles and Kindle (which yes, I own almost exclusively for the sake of portable pdf knitting patterns) - you're too upset to knit right now, am I right?

9.  Transpose the noises made by your Braun OUTLOOK 400es (digital contraption that doles out the IV fluid - nectar of the gods) into solfegge.  "Re (drop 2 octaves) Ti Do.  (pause) Do Ti Do."
Lament that you haven't installed the Finale Notation software onto this lappy yet, or you'd be able to notate it right down to the pitch, rhythm and dynamics.

10.  And yeah, there's the option my priest suggested this afternoon when he stopped by:  soak in the silence that is where we meet with God.  Pray.  Count your blessings.  Grow in the humility that comes from allowing your normally control-freaky self to rely on the aid and comfort of others.

My husband and I began praying the 12 year prayers of St. Bridget of Sweden on February 29th of this year.  I suddenly remembered just how many days we've missed since I've been under the weather, and I thought "hey, I'll check to see if they're printed out online somewhere." I teared up when I discovered that not only are they available, but there's a YouTube video I can use to catch up while I'm here - so I won't even have to pray it alone!  When I stop to look, how can I not see that God has already provided?  (Don't worry about hubby - my parents just arrived in town, and they're 5 years ahead of us in this.  I'm sure he'll be included.)



I suppose it's no surprise that I'm writing this shortly after discovering that, while some medical professionals hinted at the possibility of going home soon (today even?), I will be here until at least Friday.  Two more delightful days to go.  But in the time it took to write this post, things have been happening, including a visit from my parents with news of my ailing grandmother, and it's becoming clearer to me that even though whiny posts may be kind of fun in a way, I have a lot going for me in my life, hospital stays notwithstanding.  Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment